Leamington Spa ranked happiest place to live in Britain
The Warwickshire Spa town of Leamington Spa was ranked the happiest place to live in Britain by leading property website, Rightmove.
Ranked on several factors such as affordability, community, services and earning enough to live comfortably were all taken into account. The survey of some 17,000 people ranked the Warwickshire town as top of the charts. With a population of around 50,000 inhabitants, Leamington Spa benefits from having become one of the highest concentration of games and digital media companies in the UK, and has even been dubbed 'Silicon Spa'. The location of automtive giant Jaguar Landrover has an enormous economic impact on the town and surrounding area.
Interesting Leamington Spa facts
- It is named after the River Leam which flows through the town; the town's name is often abbreviated to Leam by locals.
- The town contains especially fine ensembles of Regency architecture, particularly in parts of the Parade, Clarendon Square and Lansdowne Circus.
- Spa towns have natural springs with waters thought to have health benefits. The spa waters in Leamington Spa had been known in Roman times and the rediscovery in 1784 by William Abbotts and Benjamin Satchwell, led to their commercialisation.
Britain top ten happiest places to live in Britain according to Rightmove
- Leamington Spa
- Leigh-on-Sea, Essex
- Wirral, Merseyside and Cheshire
- Harrogate, North Yorkshire
- Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent
- King's Lynn, Norfolk
- Epsom, Surrey
- Richmond upon Thames, London
- Poole, Dorset
- Chichester, West Sussex